Featured post

Monday 7 October 2013

When I lost a bit of my wisdom


                                           (This picture has been taken from the internet)

It took me almost 30 years to get wise. The process was still on, when the dentist told me I don't need to grow more wiser. In fact I should let go off some of it. He was kind enough to say that he would not make me a complete fool in one ago. It would be a step by step process. A little wisdom at a time in 4 easy steps and I would be back to how I began my teens- lets just say- not so wise.. At least nothing in my mouth to prove it.

I had never been to a dentist before. The first one I go to tells me - 'Sie haben zu viele Zähne" which literally translates to 'you have too many teeth.' I thought it was a funny thing to say to someone. After all 32 is the number of teeth we should have, or at least I thought so. Anyway, listening to the doc, I decided to become a fool. Took an appointment for Monday at 11.30.

I reach dot on time and am a little anxious. I have never had an extraction before. Of course, as I had never been to a dentist before. But the truth is I have never had any medical procedure. Don't know how anaesthesia tastes or feels and the biggest problem in the dentist's clinic is, no matter when you come, you have to wait.

The more I wait, the deeper I feel the need to breath and the faster my heart beats. After 15 minutes of waiting in the 'Wartezimmer/ Waiting room', a petite lady comes and tells me, ' Kommen Sie mit/ please come with me.' I follow her with heavy steps and shallow breaths. She tells me to lie down on the dentists chair and places a violet cloth round my chest. She puts a few instruments, which look like weapons to me, on the table in front and leaves the room, shutting the door behind her.

Now, I am alone in this room, dressed up by the nurse like a mouse ready for dissection, with these weapon like instruments in front of me. My thoughts are racing, my breath is shallow, my heart is beating fast. Any movement outside the door feels like dooms day is here. And time passes. 7 minutes later, I am calm. I think the storm has passed and I begin to breath normally. After a few minutes of the calm I realised that this was the lull before the storm. Time passes slowly, I check the time and I now have been waiting for 15 minutes on this chair.  Almost 20 minutes later as soon as I decide to surrender to my fate, suddenly a tall Man in his 50s walks in and shakes hand with me. The next thing he does is, pick up an injection. I had voluntarily opened my mouth seeing him, but as soon as he pointed the thin syringe towards my mouth, I closed it.

 I am brave after all ;)

He spoke to me and told me what he planned to do and I thought, for once let me act with the short lived wisdom I possess right now. All he wanted to do was give me an injection and pull out my teeth. I prepare myself, I tuck in my hands under my legs and wait for him to poke me with this weapon. I wait..... my body is stiff and mind ready for the pinch or poke I was about to feel. And he removed his hand from my mouth. I asked why did you not give me the injection? He said he did ! I got the biggest shock of my life. I thought dentists are supposed to hurt us, they are the pain masters in doctors, dentists are devils !!

Just like that he pulled out a bit of my wisdom and showed it to me. I smiled a bloody smile and we said our good byes.

No comments:

Post a Comment